How to do SEO for a website
SEO Tutorial, how to do SEO for a website
SEO Tutorial, how to do seo for a website step by step :
Search Engine Optimization (SEO):-
The goal of search engine optimization is to improve your website interaction with both users and search engines, improve your search result ranking and your website traffic.
There are some Search engine optimization practices that will make it easier for search engines to crawl, index and understand your website content.
Here are some types of Search Engine like:-
- Bing owned and operated by Microsoft.
- Yandex owned by a Russian company Yandex.
- Baidu owned by a Chinese company.
In this SEO tutorial we will try to explain some of basic SEO that will help in improving your website:-
Use <title> tag
It’s an html element; it’s the title of a web page.
- Create a unique title for every page, accurate page title.
- Keep your title under 65 char.
- Title is for your user so make them readable, it’s also appear in search result .
- Title is a good place to include your keywords.
- Title must describe the page content.
- Don’t place special char inside your titles.
Use Meta description tag
its an html element that’s used to describe content of your page
- Make it under 116 char and use unique description for each page in your website.
- It’s describes each page, knowing what is this page content about.
- It’s important because Google might use them as snippets for your page.
- Adding Meta description tag for each page is always good in case you don’t put it , Google will take description from your content (in your first content text).
Use Heading tag
its for important text.
There are six sizes of heading tag, began with <h1> till <h6>
Important of your heading depends on head number that you are using starts from :
- Head tag is a good place for your titles of content, keywords and above articles.
Use The alt attribute inside img tag for images
Use the alt attribute for images, to tell Google, search engine about the image.
- Image name is good to be short but meaningful.
- Computers are not good in reading images, so it’s useful to use alt attribute.
Content and keywords :-
Offer quality unique content and services in your website.
Consider differences between users in understanding your topics.
- Take in mind that user who knows a lot about the topic might use different keywords in their search quires than someone who is new to the topic.
- Content length must be in one page, don’t divide into another page.
- A good idea is to try using auto-complete of search engine; it will appear for you most common searched by users.
- Try use Google keyword Planner for keywords, to help you choose the right keywords.
- Try Google trends to check popularity between two keywords by how static how many people searched for.
Try to buy a domain name that is related to your content.
URLs structure and navigation: - it’s all about ease of use and navigate your website.
- Use words in creating urls relevant to your sites content.
- Create simple directory structure , home directory is the most important page in your website
- The urls are displayed in search result try to make them recognizable words.
- Make your website easier to navigate to help user in finding the contents they want and make sure everything is connected via links.
- Try to make navigation between pages throw text links to make it easier for search engine to understand your website.
Add Anchor text Links: - it’s the clickable text to redirect user to another page/website or service.
You can use anchor text links for pointing internal and external (another websites) links.
The anchor text should brief and understandable for the user who applying to it.
- Try to Link only for trusted website and popular.
- It’s good to build links for sites relevant to your work.
Add sitemap.xml:- is a page on your website that represents the structure of your website and pages of your website.
- Search engines will visit sitemap.xml to crawl your website pages to be index.
- You can generate your sitemap.xml file throw Generate sitemap, or the best way is that your website generates automatic sitemap.xml when adding any new page inside your website.
- sitemape.xml file location is under www.example.com/sitemap.xml
Here is an example of sitemap.xml:-
Add robots.txt:- is a plain text that allows search engines to crawls, index and what is restricted to be crawled on your website.
robots.txt file content is :-
- user-agent :- means search engines.
- Disallow: - restrict search engine any directory inside this.
robots.txt location is www.example.com/robots.txt
Here is an example of robots.txt:-
# robots.txt User-agent: * Disallow: /invoices/
Make 404 page for your website: - when users enter a page that doesn’t exist on your website, it will appear a 404 page.
404 page must be useful to guide users back to a working page, content on your website and friendly.
Add rel =”nofollow” for links :-
- The use of rel = “nofollow ” tells the search engines that this link on your site shouldn’t be followed or pass your page reputation, maybe its not trusted website.
- <a href=http://www.example.com rel=”nofollow”> Website </a>
Add Canonical link to your website: - is an html element used to prevent duplicate in your content, tell search engine that this is my primary address (domain).
It’s used in side your <head> tag. here an example :-
Make 301 redirect: - is a permanent redirect from a URL to another.
- Stop duplicate content and waste time in redirecting to your website.
- Example :- www.example.com is different from example.com, so redirect your website to one with www. or with out.
Kindly check this image:-
You can check your site SEO and imporve it throw SEO Websites like site analyzer and you can check your redirection also.
Promote your website :-
- create social media accounts to support your website: like twitter and Facebook.
- Increase backlinks for your website, promote new content, throw :
- Work with social media, to interact with users, reach them and share your content.
- Point to your social media accounts inside your website.
Add Open graph to your website: - it’s a protocol created by Facebook to enable you define content of Facebook page, if you want to add your website content on Facebook.
It’s a simple line of metadata tags you can put them in <head> tag of your website, here is a sample code of open graph:-
<meta property="og:title" content="content title" />
<meta property="og:type" content="article" />
<meta property="og:url" content="https://www.example.com/content-article" />
<meta property="og:image" content="https://www.example.com/content.png" />
<meta property="og:description" content="article content description" />
You must develop your website to put these data inside meta content dynamic, changeable from page to another page like og:title content, description, image, url …
Add Twitter card to your website: - if your website has twitter account and you want to add your website content into tweets to improve your website traffic you can use twitter card.
It’s a simple line of metadata tags you can put them in <head> tag of your website, here is a sample code of twitter card:-
<meta name="twitter:card" content=”summary"/>
<meta name="twitter:site" content="@your-twitter-account"/>
<meta name="twitter:title" content="your content title of the page"/>
<meta name="twitter:description" content="description of the content"/>
<meta name="twitter:image" content="your-content-image"/>
You must develop your website to put these data inside meta content dynamic, changeable from page to another like twitter:title, description, image, video …
Use Webmaster tools :- search engine provide free tools to control how search engine interact with your website like :-
- Google webmaster tools: - improve your website and test it throw Google guideline. Google Webmaster.
- Bing Webmaster.
- Yandex Webmaster.
Use Google analytics: - using Google analytics you can monitor users, audience and traffic on your website with a lot of function like how many users by country visiting your website, real time overview, check it throw Google analytics. Google Analytics
Use SEO Sites :- There are a lot of websites can help you on improve SEO and improve your website like:- site-analyzer, varvy.
© 2020 PyOdoo.